Retro En un Subaru Legacy desde USA hasta Ushuaia

Rudel

Overclockero retirado.
Se incorporó
28 Octubre 2004
Hola,

Acá un bonito articulo de un gringo que el año 2002 viajó 22.000 kilometros en un Subaru Legacy Turbo del 91:

http://motyka.kinja.com/that-one-time-i-drove-to-the-bottom-of-argentina-1493997357

Un testimonio a la confiabilidad que tienen estos antiguos Subaru .. ignoro si los actuales tendrán la misma resistencia :)

Para mi, lo mas increíble fue el leer que la famosa carretera "Panamericana" está cortada entre Panamá y Colombia .. investigué un poco para ver si esto aun es así ... y efectivamente, aun hoy no es factible pasar en auto por tierra y esta uno obligado a hacer parte del trayecto por mar si o si.

Saludos,

Rudel

It was a warm August night in 2002 when I picked up my driving partner in Cambridge, MA. Plan was to spend as little time as possible driving through the U.S. so that we could leave the rest for crossing Central and South America all the way south.

I'll spare you the details of the few run-ins with traffic law enforcement in US or near loss of all travel documents in Houston, TX Kinkos parking lot where I was scanning and printing a copy of my car's license plates — when driving through Central America in a car with foreign license plates you want to have a laminated copy of your license plate attached to the car rather than the original - in case the original walks off in shadier part of town.

19bfa10hcsq9mjpg.jpg

The drive through Mexico was mostly uneventful apart from one episode of money extortion from local authorities in Veracruz. Traffic cops simply stopped us for no reason and demanded my Passport. I already knew from reading up a little before the trip that giving up your Passport was a bad move and $40 was all it took to continue on our way south to Guatemalan border.

Guatemala is where things got more interesting. Roads were visibly worse than in Mexico (mind you, we were on the Pan-American highway). Our first encounter with a large pothole resulted in an immediate flat. We were in the middle of nowhere and getting the wheel swapped with a spare as quickly as possible felt like the right thing to do. The full size jack I packed along with few other essentials came in handy more than once throughout the trip.

19bfbsr6bm5xzjpg.jpg

Our fears were not unbased. When we pulled into a local gas station later that night and chatted with a local he warned us of not driving these roads at night. Two weeks prior he was robbed of his own car by a group of bad guys. They set up a road blockade with their pickup trucks and were robbing at gunpoint.

Having received that warning we took to driving during daytime only. Which was not without its own difficulties. At least we could see further ahead and had better chances of reacting in time.

19bfbu6h6nvsijpg.jpg

Border crossings in Central America provided an experience of its own. It was often more time consuming than the driving part. The mid countries of Central America (El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica) can be driven across in matter of hours each but the wait on border and the amount of paperwork required would push the crossing itself into 6-7 hour ordeal. Part of the complication was obviously the requirement to get visa for the car on each border. Local kids that swarmed the car upon arrival would prove immensely helpful in the process of guiding us through the maze of various "border offices". It reminded me more of a local swap meet than a border between two countries.

A smooth, newly built highway greeted us in Honduras. Surprisingly, the worst roads were waiting for us in Costa Rica though. There, after paying a speeding ticket in cash on a stretch of curvy tarmac, we hit roads that really didn't have much in common with the word 'road'.

They often were impassable due to an array of obstacles - A bus that clearly should not have been there:

19bfbz041xmp2jpg.jpg

River crossing that popped up without any warning whatsoever.

19bfc03kfziaojpg.jpg

Or a bridge you had to assemble yourself before use (something I later learned was just a gimmick for the uninitiated one once I noticed a local charging full speed across, clearly relying on the "faster you go, the less chance you have to fall through" rule).

19bfc15231cunjpg.jpg

Reaching Panama felt like scoring major achievement points. It's also where the Pan American truly becomes impassable. The hundred-mile stretch of jungle called Darien's Gapexists to this day between Panama and Colombia and serves as political / social / economic natural barrier between Central and South America. Only dedicated 4x4 equipment can cross it.

For us it meant loading the car onto a container ship in Panama City and picking it up at the destination port of Lima, Peru. I'll leave out the details of the required paperwork and the language barrier / logistical nightmare experienced when interacting with local shipping agencies and customs authorities.

19bfc1uphw8kojpg.jpg

South America greeted us with undoubtedly smoother ride. No traffic rules to be seen either but covering larger distances at a time was very much possible.

19bfc2efqxpygjpg.jpg

Improved road infrastructure made it also feasible to venture off a bit into amazing locations such as Machu Picchu. Driving through Andes proved to be unforgettable and extreme experience.

19bfc3hwfuewljpg.jpg

19bfc43lw87jxjpg.jpg

Coming back down from Machu Picchu and getting into a parked car that was still on New Jersey plates felt weird but also somewhat familiar and uniting — as if the world suddenly become that much smaller. Just like any other weekend mountain hike where you'd come down to your car parked after a day of hiking only this time it was half way down the globe.

19bfc4x7bhdmjjpg.jpg

19bfc5otm2l3ajpg.jpg

19bfc6ci5d0kejpg.jpg

Driving on smoother roads didn't come free of danger. Just because the road was well maintained it didn't mean it couldn't end abruptly at any given moment, in fact it did on numerous occasions without warning. Smaller potholes at speed still posed considerable risk.

Key to continuing this journey was to stay alert and always carry two full spare metal wheels. Metal rims have the tendency to bend rather than break which can then be fixed at the next road-side shop with no more than sledgehammer at the disposal. Aluminum wheels are stronger but will crack rather than bend and therefore become irreparable in field conditions. Also, by mounting stronger wheels damage can occur "higher up the chain" — suspension parts and drive train components, which then become even harder to repair. I did carry a few critical spare parts known to fail on this car (ignition coil, axle, alternator) but none of them proved needed. Here is damage to front wheel from hitting a bump on otherwise smooth highway.

19bfc725iyxbtjpg.jpg

19bfc7vqxt1nkjpg.jpg

19bfcwdpt6wsejpg.jpg

Leaving Peru behind, Chile proved smooth sailing and occasional stops were only made for food and shelter.

Entry into Argentina got exciting again. Weather was markedly colder and the combination of rain and worn tires resulted in an off-road incident — spin into a ditch at a rather brisk pace on a particularly winding stretch of Patagonian two-lane blacktop.

Luckily it all ended with just three bent wheels which were fixed again without much problem in the next town — only getting there was a bit of a hassle as the car was crabbing heavily at 5 mph. I kid you not, the mechanic took to one of the wheels with a sledgehammer with the wheel still on the car. The good Samaritan that pulled us out with his pickup truck invited us into his house and offered a home cooked meal and hot tea. The warmth of Argentinian people seemed to contrast the windy and cold vast expanse of southern Argentina.

19bfcbtt430iujpg.jpg

At the bottom of continental Argentina all that remained was to cross onto the island of Tierra Del Fuego, "land of fire", separated by one-hour ferry ride from the mainland. There it was back to business as usual, at this point also caring less about saving the car and pushing more on unpaved sections of the road.

19bfcclfpibvnjpg.jpg

19bfcdh0040dyjpg.jpg

19bfce8mg82hdjpg.jpg

Reaching the bottom of Tierra Del Fuego - Ushuaia - the most southern permanent settlement on Earth turned out to be pretty uneventful. Apart from spirited driving on the last two hundred miles of unpaved road it almost felt monotonous.

19bfcf46zikssjpg.jpg

19bfcfvthzg1sjpg.jpg

Also, at this point my brain and I were probably less aware of the smaller stuff and the car itself reached some kind of mechanical-failure equilibrium with few, less critical components failing long time ago (no odometer, distinct smell of gas, weak or no heat...) but all the major mechanical bits still worked fine — if not for the worrying sounds coming from the rear differential. The car just kept on going.

19bfchuuijolnjpg.jpg

In the end, lack of time made the return trip in the car not possible. Next day in Ushuaia I booked a flight to NYC and with the registration plates and my tool box in hand I hopped on the plane back.

Oveja Negra

Lagartija de Exportación
Se incorporó
23 Abril 2006
El medio pique. Bonita experiencia, creo (incluso tomando en cuenta los malos ratos).

t3b4n

Ocioso
Se incorporó
27 Febrero 2006
No entendí la última parte. ¿Qué pasó con el auto? ¿Lo dejó tirado en el último destino o pidió que se lo mandaran a USA?

whiplashh

Capo
Se incorporó
30 Marzo 2015
No entendí la última parte. ¿Qué pasó con el auto? ¿Lo dejó tirado en el último destino o pidió que se lo mandaran a USA?

sip, no tuvo tiempo, dejó el papu tirado y se fue con la patente y su caja de herramientas a gringolandia

MouseconruedaMAN

I. Hyakutaro
Se incorporó
18 Febrero 2005

Dice que agarró las patentes del auto y su cajita de herramientas y tomaron el avión a Niuyorc. :zippy

Rudel

Overclockero retirado.
Se incorporó
28 Octubre 2004
En los comentarios, el autor indica que el viaje fue realizado en el 2002, pero el auto era un Legacy del 91 que ya tenía 160.000 kilometros, por lo que en terminos de dinero el valor residual del auto no era mucho. El gringo dice que dejó el auto estacionado y con las llaves puestas, por si alguien lo quería ... esta es la ultima foto que tomó del auto:

19bfwj0n5jtxljpg.jpg

Este es el punto preciso donde quedó el Legacy:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...1a95d6e5de3dc38&mid=zSvdSoVYySz4.kFpJTFxriCj8

:D

Última modificación:

rlx

Gold Member
Se incorporó
15 Diciembre 2008
Lo dejo estacionado frente al mar con las llaves puestas.

t3b4n

Ocioso
Se incorporó
27 Febrero 2006
Qué triste. Despedirse de un compañero que lo acompañó en senderos tan complicados :(

Pescador

Pajarón Viejo
Se incorporó
21 Noviembre 2012
Aguante mi Legacy SW 1997 4WD.... :daleoh

Yo nicagando lo dejaría botado a mi Arturito....

Rudel

Overclockero retirado.
Se incorporó
28 Octubre 2004
Aguante mi Legacy SW 1997 4WD.... :daleoh

Yo nicagando lo dejaría botado a mi Arturito....

Tienes que ver el contexto .. imagina que has viajado por tierra hasta Canada en tu autito ... el costo de traertelo de regreso es mayor de lo que vale el auto, por lo que dejarlo botado puede ser una decisión razonable ... es como darle un tiro a un caballo que tiene una pata rota :)

Tbon

How 'bout a little music?
Miembro del Equipo
Fundador
ADMIN
Se incorporó
20 Enero 2004
Buena historia, alguien se habrá avispado con el auto?

DonLlama

المعلن تميز
Se incorporó
31 Mayo 2007
Nada de ridiculo dejarlo botado....

he visto hartos programas de compadres que se han pegado voladas así de grandiosas y el unico caso que he visto que regresan con el auto es un brasileño con una Hilux, que embarcó en Vladivostok y lo retiró en Rio de Janeiro.

Sin duda que pegarse un viaje así es algo que , en mi caso me encantaría hacer, pero puta que hay que tener presupuesto para hacerlo. (aunque claro, podria pedir un fondart para hacerlo xd)

DonLlama

المعلن تميز
Se incorporó
31 Mayo 2007
Se me olvidaba.. Sergio Ñuño con la tierra que vivimos estuvo en panamá con todo su ejercito de vehiculos y trataron de ir desde Panamá hasta colombia "por la selva" y se quedaron brigidamente pegados.

Subir